John Madden is a former American football coach and broadcaster. He is best known for his time as head coach of the Oakland Raiders, which he led to Super Bowl victories in 1981 and 1984. He has also been a commentator for NFL games on CBS, Fox, and NBC. As of 2021, John Madden’s net worth is $200 million. But what is John Madden net worth in 2023? Take to look at this blog.
John Madden’s Net Worth & Overview
Net Worth: $200 Million
After graduating high school in 1954, John Madden began playing football at the College of San Mateo. He transferred to the University of Oregon after one season to study pre-law and participate on the football team. Madden’s playing career was halted during his tenure at Oregon by the first of two serious injuries. A knee injury caused him to miss much of the season.
After recovering from his initial injury, John Madden returned to San Mateo and played another football season. After that, he transferred to California Polytechnic State University, playing offense and defense for the Mustangs. Madden once again demonstrated his value as a football player, establishing himself as a tough offensive lineman and earning all-conference accolades. While getting his BS in Education, he also played catcher for the collegiate baseball team. He eventually earned his MA in Education in 1961.
While healing from his knee injuries, John Madden completed his teaching degrees in college. During this period, he also met with Norm Van Brocklin, whose career ended. The ex-quarterback demonstrated Madden’s video games and described what was happening in each play. Madden’s teaching experience began to blend with football as he learned more about it. Coaching came as a natural progression.
Madden was an assistant coach at Allan Hancock College by 1960. He was named head coach two years later. San Diego State then hired him as an assistant defensive coach until 1966, when the squad was rated among the top in the country. During this time, he worked under tactical genius Don Coryell, whom Madden credited with his success as an NFL coach.
John Madden was appointed as the Oakland Raiders’ linebacker coach in 1967. Madden learned from his head coach, Al Davis, who learned from Sid Gillman. Madden inadvertently adopted techniques from a guy who had transformed professional football. By 1969, Davis had departed the club, leaving Madden in charge at 32. With this, John Madden became the NFL’s youngest head coach at the time.
Many see John Madden as the greatest Raiders coach of all time. Despite this, the squad had a reputation for losing major games from 1969 until 1975. That all changed in 1976 when they won the AFC Championship over their long-time rivals, the Steelers. The next year, they defeated the Minnesota Vikings in the Superbowl. By 1979, it was evident that coaching was harming John Madden’s health, and he stepped down.
Video Game Deal
John Madden earned $8 million per year at the height of his broadcasting career, equating to about $14 million now after inflation. Despite the hefty salary, Madden’s years of coaching and commentating have been overshadowed by his role in video games. In truth, the video game brand that bears John Madden’s name provided the bulk of his riches.
Electronic Arts have released NFL video games using his brand and likeness since 1988. The series has been a huge commercial success year after year, selling over 130 million copies.
In 2005, the video game firm EA Sports agreed to a $300 million contract to become the NFL’s exclusive game developer. Around the same time, reports circulated that EA considered removing the moniker “Madden” from all future games. It was then found that John Madden had inked an agreement for a whopping $150 million to let his face and name be used in the games in perpetuity. Furthermore, it is claimed that John Madden received roughly $2 million each year as a retainer until his retirement in 2009.
After resigning from coaching, John Madden started a long and distinguished career as a color commentator and analyst. He finally worked for all four major networks, including Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. He eventually became one of the American sports’ most in-demand television personalities, collecting multi-million dollar contracts. NBC also promised to construct Madden a “luxury train” to encourage him to join their network (John Madden is famously averse to flying).
John Madden was one of the first celebrities to make more than $1 million per year through sponsorships in the 1980s. He held endorsement arrangements with Miller Lite, Exxon, McDonald’s, Canon, and Ramada Inn in the 1980s.
He is perhaps best known now for his Tenactin sponsorship contract. His partnership with Tenactin alone earned him $2 million yearly at his peak in the 2000s. Madden later had endorsement relationships with companies including Ace Hardware, Outback Steakhouse, Verizon Wireless, Miller Lite, and Toyota.
Although John Madden did play professional football at one time, his career was effectively finished before it started. The Philadelphia Eagles picked Madden in the 21st round of the 1958 draft, and it seemed like he might play in the NFL for a while. But calamity struck during his first training camp. He sustained a career-ending injury to his knee (not the one that had previously been hurt), which was the end of his career.
John Madden was born in Austin, Minnesota, on April 10, 1936. His father relocated the family to California to explore employment prospects as an auto mechanic. At the time, John was still a child, having spent most of his childhood in a little village just south of San Francisco.
He attended a Catholic school before transferring to Jefferson High School. During his high school years, John Madden swiftly rose through the ranks of the football squad. John was a gifted, versatile young athlete who excelled on both the offensive and defensive lines. He was also a superb baseball player.
1 John Maddens Net Worth Shows the NFL Legend Left Behind a Fortune
- Author: fanbuzz.com
- Published Date: 11/03/2021
- Review: 4.96 (955 vote)
- Summary: · According to Celebrity Net Worth, Madden’s estimated net worth is a staggering $200 million when he died. Not bad for a guy whose NFL career was
- Matching search results: “Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what …
- Source: 🔗
2 John Maddens net worth in 2021
- Author: clutchpoints.com
- Published Date: 09/18/2021
- Review: 4.76 (462 vote)
- Summary: · Celebrity Net Worth states that John Madden’s current net worth is $200 million. It comes as no surprise as Madden is one of the most
- Matching search results: He then eventually played for multiple colleges before being drafted with 244th overall pick in the 21st round of the 1958 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury during training camp which effectively ended his …
- Source: 🔗
3 John Maddens Net Worth How Much Did He Earn?
- Author: michigansportszone.com
- Published Date: 06/29/2023
- Review: 4.42 (534 vote)
- Summary: · Boom! John Madden was a great NFL player, sportscaster, and entrepreneur who, at the time of his death, had a net worth in the neighborhood
- Matching search results: John Madden was also a well-known writer, and he was featured in several advertisements for a variety of different companies. He was the world’s first broadcaster to make a million dollars in a year. He was also one of the first artists to earn more …
- Source: 🔗
4 John Madden Net Worth 2023: Biography, Income, Career, Cars
- Author: caknowledge.com
- Published Date: 05/04/2023
- Review: 4.33 (419 vote)
- Summary: · John Madden net worth is estimated to be around $220 million. What is John’s annual income? As of 2021, his annual income is around $10 million
- Matching search results: As of 2021, his annual income is around $10 million. The primary source of his income comes through his career as a football coach, broadcaster, and through the books that he has written. He has also been featured in a few movies which also is a …
- Source: 🔗
5 John Madden Net Worth – LOLWOT
- Author: lolwot.com
- Published Date: 11/02/2021
- Review: 4.02 (430 vote)
- Summary: · John Madden net worth is currently $200 million USD. How much money does John Madden earn? John Madden earns $10,000 per episode from various
- Matching search results: In 1988, John Madden got into the video game business with Electronic Arts. The first Madden NFL Football game was released in 1989 for Commodore 64, Apple II, and MS-DOS. It was an instant hit and is still one of the best-selling video games of all …
- Source: 🔗
6 John Madden’s Net Worth (Updated 2023) | Wealthy Gorilla
- Author: wealthygorilla.com
- Published Date: 12/06/2021
- Review: 3.9 (261 vote)
- Summary: · John Madden’s net worth is estimated to be $200 Million. How old is John Madden? John Madden was born on April 10, 1936, and is currently 86
- Matching search results: Among Madden’s accomplishments as a head coach were winning a Super Bowl, and becoming the youngest coach to reach 100 career regular-season victories, a record he compiled in only ten full seasons of coaching at the age of 42. Madden is still the …
- Source: 🔗
7 John Madden Net Worth: How Much Worth Does He Have?
- Author: keeperfacts.com
- Published Date: 09/12/2021
- Review: 3.78 (427 vote)
- Summary: · John Madden Net Worth … John Madden was a famous NFL player, sportscaster, and businessman. At the time of his death, he was worth $200 million
- Matching search results: John Madden did play football professionally at one point, but it was pretty much over before it started. In 1958, the Philadelphia Eagles picked Madden in the 21st round of the draught. For a while, it looked like he would play in the NFL. But …
- Source: 🔗
8 John Madden Net Worth
- Author: celebritynetworth.com
- Published Date: 07/11/2023
- Review: 3.49 (584 vote)
- Summary: Boom! John Madden was a legendary NFL player, sportscaster and entrepreneur who had a net worth of $200 million at the time of his death. John Madden died
- Matching search results: John Madden was born on April 10th of 1936 in Austin, Minnesota. In order to pursue work opportunities, his father moved the family to California to find a job as an auto mechanic. John was still young at the time, and he spent most of his youth …
- Source: 🔗
9 John Madden Net Worth – Rave Motion Pictures
- Author: ravemotionpictures.com
- Published Date: 04/07/2023
- Review: 3.33 (408 vote)
- Summary: · The net worth of John Madden is reported to be approximately $220 million as of 2021. John is a television idol and an American football coach
- Matching search results: John Madden was a well-known NFL player, sportscaster, and businessman. Despite having a great run in the NFL coaching career, John is must known for his escapades after his playing days were done. As an NFL pundit, he climbed to notoriety, …
- Source: 🔗
10 John Madden Net Worth: All About His Personal Life!
- Author: thetoughtackle.com
- Published Date: 03/27/2023
- Review: 3.1 (308 vote)
- Summary: · It is believed that John Madden has a net worth of approximately $220 million. John works in both the coaching and broadcasting sides of the
- Matching search results: His distinctive delivery style, which has earned him Sports Emmy Awards, has garnered him a lot of attention and praise in recent years. After Madden and a large number of his close friends perished in a plane crash in 1960, he developed a severe …
- Source: 🔗
11 John Madden Net Worth 2023 | Salary | Mansion | Cars | Biography
- Author: networthbro.com
- Published Date: 01/14/2023
- Review: 2.85 (124 vote)
- Summary: John Madden is a legendary NFL player, sportscaster and entrepreneur who has a net worth of $200 million. John Madden Salary Per Day | Per Year | Per Month |
- Matching search results: In 1980 Madden turned his talents to broadcasting, and spent the next three decades as an NFL color commentator for CBS, Fox, ABC and NBC, becoming known for his eager exclamations of “gosh” and “boom!” and his goofy sense of humor. Madden’s amiable …
- Source: 🔗
12 John Madden Net Worth 2023: Income, Salary, Career, Bio
- Author: filmysiyappa.com
- Published Date: 03/12/2023
- Review: 2.87 (155 vote)
- Summary: · John Madden’s Net Worth ; Full Name: John Madden ; Net Worth: $200 Million ; Age: 85 ; Country: United States ; Born: April 10, 1936
- Matching search results: December 28, 2021 – Hall of Fame coach John Madden, one of America’s most recognizable ambassadors of professional football, died on Tuesday. His brilliant career and impeccable commentary made his mark in the whole country. Madden left an imprint …
- Source: 🔗
13 John Madden Net Worth: How Much Has This Person Made in 2023?
- Author: landscapeinsight.com
- Published Date: 09/07/2021
- Review: 2.78 (71 vote)
- Summary: · What Was John Madden’s Net Worth? … Boom! While John Madden had a fortune of $200 million at the time of his death as an NFL icon and
- Matching search results: His Tenactin sponsorship contract may be what people remember him for now. His Tenactin deal alone made him $2 million a year in the early 2000s. Outback Steakhouse and Verizon Wireless were among the other products that Madden endorsed later in his …
- Source: 🔗
- Top List 20+ What is Floyd May Weather Net Worth 2023: Should Read
- The 20+ What is Greta Gerwig Net Worth 2023: Full Information
- The 20 What is Lil Zane Net Worth 2023: Best Guide
Thanks for reading this post! We hope you found it informative and helpful. As always, we encourage you to do your research and consult with a financial advisor to make sure your decision is the right one for you.