Solid-state amplifiers provide practical benefits over tube amps, so generally, they’re more reliable and require less upkeep. As they don’t use tubes, the noise they produce is much more consistent, they’re lighter and more comfortable to transfer, and they’re usually less costly.
As many professional guitarists still favor the design of tube amps, there are a few people who have relied on solid-state amps, such as musical luminaries such as Andy Summers (Roland JC-120), Johnny Greenwood (Fender Eighty-Five), B.B. King (Lab collection L-5), Metallica (Roland JC-120 for clean tones), and Dimebag Darrel (Randall C200). In this guide, Fidlar will show you the Best Solid State Amps, keep reading this post to know more about these amplifiers.
Table of Contents
- 1 What’s A Strong State Amp?
- 2 Best Solid State Amps Of All Time
- 2.1 1. Orange Micro Terror
- 2.2 2. Boss Katana 100 MkII
- 2.3 3. Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior IV
- 2.4 4. Mesa/Boogie Mark Five: 25 Head
- 2.5 5. Victory VX The Kraken
- 2.6 6. Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus 120 Watt Guitar Amplifier
- 2.7 7. Roland Guitar Combo Amplifier, 49 Keys (BC-HOT)
- 2.8 8. Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
- 2.9 9. Boss KTN-50 12 Inch Katana 50W Combo Guitar Amplifier
- 2.10 10. Marshall Amps Code 25 Amplifier Part (CODE25)
- 3 What Are The Most Effective Solid State Amps?
What’s A Strong State Amp?
A solid-state amp is a transistor amp. They have low operating voltages and, therefore, can run at a lower energy consumption are more compact and weight reduction.
They can operate with complementary symmetry circuits Now’s guitar amp models are usually made out of silicon transistors. In the previous ten years, solid-state layouts have improved significantly. Solid-state guitar amplifiers are a lot cheaper to produce and more dependable.
Solid State Amps Buyer’s Guide
The pursuit of the best solid-state amp is uncharted territory for a few, especially people who firmly hold misconceptions regarding their skills compared to their tube counterparts.
Electrical guitar amp models, each guitarist, tend to get their taste for a sound quality occasionally. It may be too easy to opt for the ring you understand and adhere to the presets you’re knowledgeable about.
The genre you perform will significantly affect decision making. A fantastic Jazz solid-state amp will fluctuate nearly entirely to some high-quality distortion amp. So to help select a solid-state amp that suits you as a participant, here’s somewhat additional info.
Digital Combo Amps
Newer Android and digital amps compatible versions are getting to be readily available. The top brands have taken quite an invention to the next level. Broaden tone spectrum a chance but may be confusing to a newcomer.
While a somewhat intimidating prospect of some of the technological advancement rubs of on the musician, letting them evolve as a performer and improving their audio production quality.
It also promotes connectivity using a few offering programs for immediate community accessibility to discuss thoughts and discuss consequences features in detail and ensuring you can further know how to tweak the audio for your unique needs.
Indeed, this is a measure that will lead to jumps in the modern music industry’s progression. Indeed, if you don’t have any motivation to perform with anything but crystal-clear tones, they’re a waste of time researching.
Best Solid State Amps Of All Time
1. Orange Micro Terror
Having a tube preamp and a solid-state plug, the Orange Micro Terror handles to remain shockingly tiny while providing 20 watts of the output signal. Throughout a 4×12, it is ridiculously enormous, although because it is shallow in wattage, there is not a real clean tone noise on offer.
Nonetheless, it’s approximately a thousand times greater compared to entry-level amps we had when we were younger, and also, at a push, you could probably play modest shows together.
We have switched out among our amps together with the Micro following a technical problem before (yes, it is small enough to deliver as a backup on your pedalboard situation ), and we do not believe the crowd noticed. It is one of the very best guitar amps.
- Not full-tube
- Not that loud
2. Boss Katana 100 MkII
It is the best solid-state guitar amp to decide on an app that will enable them to experiment with various sounds. As good as tube amps are, they tend to adhere to a single core job and concentrate on doing this brilliantly.
Digital impacts, on the other hand, allow the participant to test out different sounds and combinations of effects to discover the sound quality which suits them best.
The Boss Katana 100 MKII is also, in various ways, the ideal initial or backup amp for the majority of people. It packs in a bunch of Boss effects, together with a choice of excellent sounding amp versions, and will readily deal with the step up from training to little gig, and hooking the Katana up for the computer grants you access to in-depth editing of parameters. At the same time, we loved how it could directly record a digital audio workstation via USB.
- Wide Array of sounds
- Fantastic Price
- Requires the software for profound editing
- New and improved amp Modeling Technology
- Wi-Fi equipped for easy updates, preset exchanges, and connectivity to the Fender tone app
- Bluetooth streaming and control available from your mobile device
- Crisp, full color display screen
- 2-Year Warranty included
3. Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior IV
There are just a few amps more functional to get an amp to little gig clubs, play in your home, or at training, compared to Fender mini combos. We enjoy the Jr IV since it’s a 12″ speaker, which to our ears is considerably fuller and more balanced than many 10″ speakers on the market.
Though this amp does something, it does it; however, it will split up quite quickly as a result of its size, which makes it not necessarily the smartest choice for new clogs. Additionally, it is a small studio key weapon because it could be driven into ancient tough saturation.
- Timeless fender tone
- Not quite versatile
- Not Affordable
4. Mesa/Boogie Mark Five: 25 Head
The Mesa Mark V comes in several sizes in the full-tilt 90W head to streamline the 25W offering. Though a few features are compact or eliminated, the 25 losses are not crucial tips while getting small enough to undertake public transportation.
Twenty-five-watt solid-state is only about sufficient to record and gig, and there is a reason why the Mark IV and Mark V have been mythical.
Sure, partly, it is about the prestige of Mesa amps generally. However, the IV made its stripes throughout session gamers seeking a Swiss-Army-Knife amp.
The tubes used additionally offer you a hint. In contrast, additional Mesa heads such as the DC5 utilized 6L6s to get a more rectifier-like tone; the EL84s are another animal, while the clean channel has a Finder-like chime relating to it.
But with Mesas, the inventory ones are not the entire story. Using a three-band EQ and enhancing functionality may be radically altered into a new land. Identifying graphic EQ on the front panel permits for even more extreme tone shaping.
- Sounds amazing
- 20-watt hybrid amplifier head geared toward metal tones
- Hybrid tube preamp and solid state power amp push 20-watts of power
- Shape and gain controls go from country cleans to savage high-gain
- The amp is less than 3 lbs. and only 5.31" tall
- 20 watts is plenty for practice
5. Victory VX The Kraken
Since the signature guitar amps YouTube celebrity Rabea Massaad, the Victory VX Kraken has some pretty impressive credentials.
Depending on the Marshall JCM900 and the Peavey 5150 Mark II noise, possibly the defining contemporary amp for metal, an experience with the Kraken seems as extreme as you would expect from the title.
The result is the best solid-state guitar amps, and clean seem, and also a few of our treasured saturated gain seems, in a compact package that you could readily gig with. In reality, it’s little enough which you’re able to fly as hand luggage.
- Range of tones
- Just 50W
6. Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus 120 Watt Guitar Amplifier
This is the very best jazz guitar amplifier. We’re beginning with a big boy at the jazz world here, being among the most acclaimed non-tube jazz amps in the marketplace and among the few old solid-state amplifiers to attain a loyal cult following. The Roland JC-120 was revolutionary for the time.
Introduced into the market in 1975, it had been the very first solid-state amplifier to possess an onboard analog chorus. During its early presence, Roland included a stereo effects loop, which has been warmly received by pros and amateurs alike.
Unchanged since its origin is both 60-watt power amps, which give life to a set of 12-inch audios capable of producing a broad assortment of quality tones.
Aside from the analog chorus mentioned previously, the effects contained are reverb, vibrato, and stimulation. A two-channel system is used here, with a single for its consequences and the other blank.
Although initially marketed as mostly a jazz amp, the JC-130 was snapped up with a vast selection of gamers trying to find the flexible, warm, and refreshing tones present within this power amp.
It was the very first amp of Jeff Buckley and players like Albert King, Metallica’s James Hetfield (for almost every blank tone he’s listed ), ex-Police guitar players Andy Summers, Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit, Billy Duffy of The Cult, Radiohead’s Johnny Greenwood and The Smith’s Johnny Marr have integrated using the amp live not only performances but also studio records.
- Iconic noise and broadly employed by guitar greats.
- The very best in-built chorus is available on the marketplace
- Distinctive VOX looks and great VOX tone
- 10 watts; 6.5" speaker
- Clean/Overdrive switch
- Volume, Gain, Bass and Treble controls
- Line/Headphone processed output
7. Roland Guitar Combo Amplifier, 49 Keys (BC-HOT)
Another Roland, however, this one is a really different and considerably smaller monster. The Roland Guitar Combo Amplifier, 49 Keys (BC-HOT), also referred to as the Roland Blues Cube is a 30-watt blues modeling amplifier. The Cube series has existed for quite a while and for the right reason.
This line of amps has been associated with fantastic price, quality, and durability, and it all packed into a lightweight and compact design. A single 30-watt electricity amp runs right into a 12-inch speaker, with measurements of 17.0 x 9.4 x 16.3″ (433.0 x 239.0 x 413.0 mm) and weighing only 27.78 pounds (12.6 kg), this can be an excellent choice for the artist on the go.
The Roland Guitar Combo Amplifier, 49 Keys (BC-HOT), comes with a very user-friendly layout, including the simplicity that’s frequently overlooked on modeling amps. Well-designed knobs control one input jack for volume, reverb, bass, mid and treble, and master output signal.
Amplifier modeling is the process of utilizing digital technologies to replicate some other power amp feel and sound. The early 2000s saw the coming of the Line6’s POD apparatus, which is often thought of as kicking off the Sky modeling craze.
This began a movement that found home recording studios, which could have had access to two or one power amp types before, abruptly be given the keys to unlock a large sum of formerly unthought-of recording choices. Oddly, the outcomes were impressive at the start and have improved considerably in the last two decades. This is the very best stereo tube amp for the money.
- The power output choice works well.
- User friendly.
- Great for the artist on the Go.
- We did not love some of those modeling alternatives, but that is true with most modeling amps.
- We are not a massive fan of the appearance, but that is subjective.
8. Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
Sitting at only 20 watts of electricity, you might be confused about departure directly with this modeling amp from Fender. But hold your horses because the Fender Mustang that I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier could have you believing again!
The capacity to link too easily to PC or Mac computers (throughout the Fender Fuse program ) and also the inbuilt modeling technologies makes this an ideal addition to any quiver of amplifiers, or as the first amp!
We may say, without any doubt, we had been blown away with the operation of the tiny amp. Stuffed within a 14.5″ x 15.5″ x 7.6″ compartment are a 20-watt power plug, an 8-inch speaker, an input, an aux jack plus a mini USB jack plus a footswitch jack, and a headphone jack.
Weighing just 17 pounds ups the amp; it is possible to take it almost everywhere! The rugged, no-nonsense amp feels and seems like it will not be breaking any time soon.
This fantastic piece of software, introduced by Fender for everyone their solid-state amps, gives you enormous control over the configurations, making fender tone personalization simple as pie. You could even pick from a massive library of presets created by others, such as famous guitar players.
- Sturdy design.
- Super compact.
- Fantastic beginner amp is a good example when needing more variety.
- Fender Fuse harmonious.
- Didn’t manage high profit very nicely.
- A few of the models did not seem significant.
- Portable, Bluetooth Desktop Guitar Amplifier
- Built-in Digital Reverb & Delay, 3 channels: Clean, Overdrive and Distortion
- Runs with 9V power adapter, USB connection via power bank or 6 AA size batteries
- 3 Watt Output Power, 9 Drum Patterns and a Metronome,Tap Tempo controls Delay speed and Drums
- Download the Firmware from NUX website. It will keep the Amp in excellent condition
9. Boss KTN-50 12 Inch Katana 50W Combo Guitar Amplifier
The Boss KTN-50 12 Inch Katana 50W Combo Guitar Amplifier is next on our list. This is a stage-ready, acoustic guitars/electric guitars modeling combo amp, which includes five distinctive amp attributes: clean, crunch, brown, direct, and acoustic guitar.
We have a look at a few testimonials before getting our hands with this one, and also, the shipping delay was excruciating as we were so eager to give it a crack!
Directly off the bat, we discovered how receptive this amp was on the bass tones. After we plugged our octave pedal, the noise produced was smooth and clean.
Integrated is your BOSS Tone Studio editor program (Boss’s equal to Fender Fuse) to provide the consumer’s full customization, such as 60 effects.
Looking down in the top control panel view controls for amp type, profit, and quantity, to start with, followed by bass, mid and treble.
Next up, we’ve got the three effects knobs, such as reverb, and lastly, the tone-setting segment where we have a master volume control, power level, and the energy on/off switch.
- Sleek design incorporating classic and contemporary design concepts.
- Access to BOSS Style studio.
- A fantastic marriage of customization and simplicity.
- Nothing glaring.
10. Marshall Amps Code 25 Amplifier Part (CODE25)
Can there be a much more iconic guitar amp producer than Marshall code? We believe not. Visions of the enormous Marshall code piles have caught the imagination of young guitarists globally since the 60s.
Using their classic, flowing white emblem that appears effortlessly scribbled throughout the front of each Marshall amp, into the control knobs and panel adorned with golden fashion inlay.
Marshall has ever produced top-quality seeming, but furthermore, sounding amplifiers. Along with the Marshall Amps Code 25 Amplifier Part (CODE25),15″ x 10″ x 15″, Black is no exception to this rule.
As among the smaller wattage amps on our listing, this isn’t likely to become an amp you may inevitably wish to use on point if you don’t play with tiny places? But we believe that is about where the constraints with this stunning piece of equipment finish.
Within a 13.38″ x 13.77″ x 8.46″ home, which comes in at only a fraction over 13 pounds, is a reasonably similar installation about inputs as our past entry. We’ve got a 1/4″ jack and an aux input, a USB mini-b, and Bluetooth connectivity. A 25-watt electricity amp controls one 10″ speaker. A top-down view indicates the gold control panel, and now we’re in for a surprise!
- The Gateway program works excellently.
- Although not all of the modeling presets were ideal, most seemed great.
- Light and mobile, and also the best looking on this listing, in our view.
- The only disadvantage of this Gateway program is the inability to talk about your records and presets readily with others.
- When ‘burying’ your drummer in volume is important, the 100 watts thrown out of 2 – 12” Fender special designed speakers will get your point across.
- Jam along with your favorite tracks by simply plugging your MP3 player into the Auxiliary input and you instantly become part of the band and /or practice privately with the 1/8th headphone output jack that also mutes the speaker output.
- Toggle between 100 Watts of clean or mean from the 2 channels with the kick of a footswitch during a stage or studio performance.
- Explore many very usable musical tones from the many amp classic to modern amp voicing’s and the various spacial effects such as digital reverb, chorus, delay and vibratone.
- Limited Warranty Included.1/8 inch aux input
What Are The Most Effective Solid State Amps?
Regardless of the apparent pros that include solid-state amps nowadays, large quantities of guitarists still prefer good old tube amps. Solid-state amps had a rocky beginning with a reputation for underperforming, but that’s a matter of the past in our view, and we’re hoping this roundup has cleared up some of those lingering doubts within electronic solid-state amps!
With the price tag, tonal consistency, inbuilt effects and modeling, and reliability still improving with each new version, we can not wait to see the upcoming few decades to take this technology!
Last update on 2020-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API